Modification of Child Support and Child Custody

If you are currently involved in a situation involving child support or child custody, you may or may not be aware of the fact that a child support order or a child custody order can be modified. This means that if the personal situation of you or your child’s other parent changes and you are not able to pay the specified amount anymore, the order itself can be changed accordingly. Just because an order may say it is “permanent” does not mean that it can’t be changed.

You should always seek professional and experienced legal advice when going about making changes and divorce modifications, as it affects your whole family – most importantly, your children. The modification of child custody and modification of child support are not simple decisions. Make The Berman Law Group and its experienced family law attorneys your trusted Florida modification law firm if you need to make any of these significant changes in your life.

Modification of Child Support

The modification of child support payments, or time sharing, can be changed as long as a judge – in the same court that approved your child support order/spousal support during your divorce – approves an agreement or agrees to change the original order. You will have to file a supplemental petition. You must also follow the procedures required in Florida. This modification of parenting is always made in the best interest of the child and their specific financial needs.

The exact costs of child support payments are dependent on each parent’s financial earnings (i.e. current income), housing situation, and the specific interests of the children involved. For example, if a parent were to remarry and their income increased, this could potentially increase their monthly child support payments. Some situations that could create a permanent modification of child support include the permanent disability of a parent, changes in a parent’s job, and changes in a child’s needs.

Modification of Child Custody

Child custody orders can be modified in the case of two situations: if a parent violates any court orders, or if either one or both parents have a substantial change in circumstances. Either parent may bring to light the need for a modification of child custody. However, they must also show evidence in order to justify their reasonings for modification. This will allow you and the other parent to make any final judgments and adjust to a new parenting plan.Modification of Child Custody and Modification of Child Support

Working with the other parent of your child is the simplest way to modify the parenting plan that was initially written out in your divorce decree. If both of you agree to the changes, that is a green light to file this new plan with the court that approved your initial child custody order, and in most cases, the court will accept it. If the other parent refuses to work with you, you can work with a Florida modification law firm to take it to court.

The Berman Law Group has decades of combined experience handling child support modifications and child custody modifications of all shapes and sizes. We can help you when you need it most. The Berman Law Group is your trusted South Florida law firm for all things family law.

Contact us today at 1-800-375-5555 to learn more about our law office’s family law attorneys and modification lawyers. We are ready to take care of you and your case. Your case review is always free.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support