Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Proudly Representing Injured Elders
Nursing homes can be a wonderful solution for elders who need extra assistance with medical conditions, emotional or physical issues, and the demands of routine tasks. When you help your loved one move into a nursing home, you do so with the intention of improving their daily life. But what happens when your loved one is mistreated or neglected while living at the facility?
The employees, staff members, and medical professionals employed by a nursing home or assisted living facility for elders are held to a standard of care just like doctors or nurses at a hospital. At The Berman Law Group, we are committed to holding negligent or abusive individuals and organizations accountable for any harm they cause to elder Floridians. Our goal is not only to recover compensation for your family but to deter other nursing homes from engaging in this kind of unacceptable conduct.
Discuss your case with our Boca Raton nursing home abuse attorneys by calling (800) 883-5206. We have five convenient offices located in Boca Raton, Deerfield Beach, Orlando, Stuart, and Gainesville.
Determining Liability for Elder Abuse
Nursing homes can commit abuse or negligence in a variety of ways. Abuse can be physical, emotional, sexual, or financial.
You may have a valid negligence or abuse claim for:
- Negligent hiring: Nursing homes are obligated to hire personnel with the proper qualifications and with no history of abuse. If a facility fails to perform background checks or hires an abusive or underqualified staff member, it can be accountable for that practice and the employee’s actions.
- Understaffing: An understaffed nursing home is a common cause of negligence. Without enough professionals to properly assist residents, many are subject to low-quality care. Residents in an understaffed facility could face malnutrition, bed sores, and other injuries.
- Inadequate training: If the facility failed to properly train its employees to deal with elder and disabled residents, it can be held accountable for any injury sustained by a resident due to lack of training.
- Third-party responsibility claim: Even if the abuse was not committed by a direct employee of the nursing home, the facility is responsible for the actions of any third parties who were granted permission to be on the property.
- Breach of statutory or regulatory rights: As a resident of a nursing home, you are entitled to autonomy, dignity, and privacy. The facility is liable if an employee violates any of these basic rights.
- Medication errors: The medical professionals employed by a nursing home are expected to ensure proper medication dosage and administration. Any injury sustained by a medication error could indicate nursing home liability.
Neglect at Nursing Homes
Nursing home neglect refers to a facility’s failure to meet the standard of care expected from a comparable facility in the area.
A nursing home could be held accountable for neglect if it fails to:
- Ensure residents’ personal hygiene
- Provide adequate food, clothing, or shelter for residents
- Provide medical treatment for residents
- Address potential health and safety hazards
- Improve unsanitary conditions
Warning Signs of Neglect & Abuse
A lot of nursing home abuse and neglect goes unnoticed because residents are unable to communicate the incidents to loved ones or because the warning signs are misconstrued or passed off as illness or old age.
If you have a loved one in a nursing home, be on the lookout for:
- Physical injuries, such as bruises or bleeding
- Change in attitude, personality, or emotional well-being
- Silence around caretakers
- Bruises on or around the elder’s genitals
- Sudden diseases or infections
If you believe that your loved one is being abused or neglected in a nursing home, call The Berman Law Group at (800) 883-5206. We look forward to hearing your story and helping you fight for justice.
In the end, the Berman Law Group fought to get me the settlement that I deserved! I highly recommend The Berman Law Group.- Brian C.
Everything was done to a "T" and swiftly. I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you Berman Law Group!- Eric L.
He will make emergency runs to make sure you are ok. Call Zach if you need an honest attorney!- Jon M.
We are committed to making ourselves available to our clients 24/7 - by phone, email & text message.
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
We are proud to be among the 1% of U.S. lawyers who are members of this distinguished organization.
Compassionate Legal Solutions
We provide personalized legal solutions & treat all of our clients like friends & family, rather than like case numbers.
Committed to the Community
We are driven to give back to our community & are avid supporters of many charitable organizations.
Strong Record of Success
We have won an extensive number of verdicts and settlements totalling over $300 million in recoveries for our clients.
We offer free consultations & will not charge a fee unless we recover compensation for you.