If you are a motorcyclist, you need to exercise extra caution when on the road. Do not drink and drive and be sure to always wear appropriate safety gear.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists in Florida
Given the higher number of motorcyclist fatalities in Florida, it is crucial to do what you can to stay safe.
Below are some tips for motorcyclists to stay safe:
- Wear the right safety gear: The more protected you are, the less severe your injuries will be if you are involved in an accident. Leather clothing, gloves, boots, and a helmet can all effectively protect your body. Additionally, reflective tape can ensure you are more visible.
- Do not drive while fatigued or drunk: Driving under the influence of alcohol or driving while fatigued can both impair your judgment. You should always be well-rested and sober before going for a ride on your bike. In 2016, according to the NHTSA, 16% motorcycle fatalities in Florida involved a BAC of .15 or more.
- Obey traffic rules: Always be aware of the rules of the road and follow them.
- Be a defensive driver: Motorcycle accidents are often caused by drivers who violate a motorcyclist’s right of way. To avoid this, stay out of blind spots and use your turn signal any time you plan on changing lanes or direction. You should also be aware of turning vehicles.
- Stay sharp: Just because you have your license does not mean you do not have to keep honing your riding skills. Take a formal riding education program to stay sharp and develop better riding techniques.
- Make sure your bike is safe: Before going for a ride, always make sure your motorcycle is in good condition. Check its tires, make sure the headlight, signals, and taillight are functional, and look for oil and gas leaks. You should also check the coolant and hydraulic fluids every week.
Schedule a Case Review with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today!
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, reach out to the experienced team at The Berman Law Group for knowledgeable legal representation. Injuries sustained in these types of accidents are often incredibly severe and might even result in permanent damage. You should not have to pay for the costs associated with someone else’s mistakes. Our team will guide you through the claims process, so you can obtain the compensation you deserve.
Call our law office today at (800) 375-5555 to schedule a free initial case review with a knowledgeable member of our legal team. We are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.